Skip to content. | Skip to navigation

Questo sito fa uso di cookie, i cookie consentono una gamma di funzionalità che migliorano la tua fruizione del sito. Utilizzando il sito, verrà accettato l'uso dei cookie in conformità con le nostre linee guida. Per saperne di più clicca qui.

Glimpses and curiosities of Treviso

Treviso City of water

GLIMPSES OF TREVISO NOT TO BE MISSED

The link that united Treviso to Venice is also found in the toponymy: in fact the water connection that allowed trade between the countryside and the capital of the Serenissima Republic was called "Buranelli". In fact, it is thought that the fishermen of the homonymous island in the lagoon had taken up residence on these shores which have now become one of the most characteristic corners of the city. The current arrangement of the Pescheria dates back to the Habsburg domination: in 1856 the Austrians decided to unify some islets that stood on the Cagnan Grande to form the space suitable for hosting the fish market which in the shadow of the horse chestnuts still colors and enlivens the city landscape. The area is also characterized by the presence of fruit and vegetable stalls which together with the shops and taverns make this area a constant point of reference for Treviso social life. "There where Sile and Cagnan are accompanied": with Dante's words, taken from "Paradiso" we want to present what, due to the numerous difficulties that had opposed its construction, had been called the "Bridge of the Impossible". Ponte Dante, which since 1865 takes its name from the Supreme Poet, is located on the confluence of the clear waters of the Sile and the more earthy ones of the Cagnan. On these banks there were the "squeri" that is the places where the boats were built that were used for trade with Venice. The Civic Museums of Treviso house works of extraordinary importance, a source of great pride for the Trevigiani. The Church of Santa Caterina, dating back to the 14th century, and the adjoining convent of the Servants of Mary represent the main museum. Inside, a rich archaeological section offers a precious testimony of the history and the territory from the second millennium BC. until the early Middle Ages.

 

CIVIC MUSEUMS AND CASA DEI CARRARESI

The convent houses frescoes from the 14th and 15th century, such as the splendid Cycle of Sant'Orsola, by Tomaso da Modena, and other important paintings ranging up to the 19th century, including works by Bellini, Lotto, Tiziano and Tiepolo . Furthermore, from the Municipal Gallery of Modern Art, some masterpieces of the Treviso twentieth century, by Gino Rossi and Arturo Martini, have been received.


Born in Treviso in 1889 Martini upset the laws of sculpture with his revolutionary work, using materials of different nature: from wood to stone, from clay to bronze. Casa dei Carraresi, in the 14th century, was a hostel that offered rest to travelers. On the façade you can see the Da Carrara coat of arms to recall not so much the use of the structure as the residence of the noble family, as the seat for the activity of their officials. The building, in Romanesque style, preserves several medieval frescoes inside. It currently hosts interesting conferences, seminars and above all exhibitions of strong international appeal.

 

TREVISO AND THE CITIZEN HEART

The link that united Treviso to Venice is also found in the toponymy: in fact the water connection that allowed trade between the countryside and the capital of the Serenissima Republic was called "Buranelli". In fact, it is thought that the fishermen of the homonymous island in the lagoon had taken up residence on these shores which have now become one of the most characteristic corners of the city. The current arrangement of the Pescheria dates back to the Habsburg domination: in 1856 the Austrians decided to unify some islets that stood on the Cagnan Grande to form the space suitable for hosting the fish market which in the shadow of the horse chestnuts still colors and enlivens the city landscape. The area is also characterized by the presence of fruit and vegetable stalls which together with the shops and taverns make this area a constant point of reference for Treviso social life. "There where Sile and Cagnan are accompanied": with Dante's words, taken from "Paradiso" we want to present what, due to the numerous difficulties that had opposed its construction, had been called the "Bridge of the Impossible". Ponte Dante, which since 1865 takes its name from the Supreme Poet, is located on the confluence of the clear waters of the Sile and the more earthy ones of the Cagnan. On these banks there were the "squeri" that is the places where the boats were built that were used for trade with Venice. The Civic Museums of Treviso house works of extraordinary importance, a source of great pride for the Trevigiani. The Church of Santa Caterina, dating back to the 14th century, and the adjoining convent of the Servants of Mary represent the main museum. Inside, a rich archaeological section offers a precious testimony of the history and the territory from the second millennium BC. until the early Middle Ages.

 

THE WALLS

Treviso had a city wall already in Roman times, but the current vestiges date back to the 16th century, when Fra 'Giocondo and Bartolomeo D'Alviano then contributed to their improvement and expansion on commission from the Venetian Republic. The embankment is still visible today, covered on the outside by a thick brick wall of almost 4 km, and the circular towers, with the semi-hidden gunboats, which remind us of the role assumed by the city as an important defensive bulwark at the time of the Serenissima. It makes us smile to think that such a military structure today represents the ideal place for walking and jogging, in a suggestive setting of greenery and water. Finally, the three splendid doors, San Tomaso, Santi Quaranta and Altinia are of strong visual impact: almost a triumphal entry into the capital of the Marca

THE DOME

The writer Giovanni Comisso defined the Duomo complex as "The little Vatican": in addition to the Cathedral, it includes the Baptistery, the Bishopric and the Canonics. The Cathedral, dedicated to St. Peter, was originally built in the 11th-12th centuries (the Romanesque crypt was probably completed in 1030) but what we see today mainly dates back to the reconstruction carried out in the 18th century in a neo-Renaissance style. In 1836 the pronaos was built which characterizes the façade on the square with its wide staircase. The horizon is crossed by seven domes, five of which are aligned on the axis of the central nave. Among the many works preserved inside the church we want to point out the Annunciation by Titian, the splendid painting that the artist from Cadore painted in the third decade of the sixteenth century. Open: in the morning until 12.00, in the afternoon from 15.00 to 18.00 (excluding the hours of functions).

THE CHURCHES OF SAN NICOLÒ AND SAN FRANCESCO

The "Black Death", the plague epidemic that decimated Europe between 1348 and 1350, blocked the construction of the church of San Nicolò which the Dominicans had begun at the dawn of the fourteenth century, exploiting the legacies that Pope Benedict XI, to the century fra 'Niccolò Bocassino from Treviso, had generously donated. To exalt the Dominican order, after the death wave, the painter Tomaso da Modena was commissioned to fresco the Sala del Capitolo of the Convent: the portraits of the greatest representatives of Dominican glory still look at us from the ancient walls and how not to notice that friar bespectacled who leafs through the pages of a book with a curious look. It is probably the first representation of glasses in the history of art. The church is characterized by the warm and bright atmosphere of its interiors and by the excellent acoustics that were well suited to the needs of an order of preaching friars such as the Dominicans. Another church much loved by the Treviso people is the Temple of San Francesco, whose austere architecture marries well those ideals of simplicity and essentiality so dear to the Franciscan order, especially in the interiors, where the bare brick walls and the soft light create an environment of great balance and deep spirituality. Among the works preserved inside it is worth mentioning, in the right aisle, the tomb of Francesca Petrarca, daughter of the poet, who died in Treviso in 1384, while in the left one you can admire frescoes by Tomaso da Modena and some pupils. Open: in the morning until 12.00, in the afternoon from 15.00 to 18.00 (excluding the hours of functions).

THE UNIVERSITY

The first University was born in Treviso around 1263, but it will be above all in the 18th century that the various Academies will develop. Today the University is located on the site where the Hospital of Santa Maria dei Battuti once stood, which offered assistance to the poor and pilgrims. The Treviso Hospital was later established in the same place and only recently the complex has taken on its new functions, becoming thanks to the Cassamarca Foundation, the new University of Treviso, a branch of the Universities of Padua and Venice. . Do not miss a walk in the brand new Latin Quarter characterized by a harmonious combination of tradition and innovation, a beloved meeting place for young Treviso people on lively summer evenings.

AN UNFORGETTABLE "JOY AND LOVING" WEEK-END

Capital of the "joyful and loving" brand, Treviso has a historic center full of beauties to admire, but also of typical products to be tasted in restaurants, historic trattorias or characteristic taverns, where a stop to sip a shadow is a must. of wine accompanied by delicious cicchetti. A rich panorama of unique products, from Radicchio Rosso, the undisputed protagonist of good food, to locally produced cheeses, such as the creamy Casatella Trevigiana, from the renowned wines of the Marca to the delicious sweet Tiramisù: a weekend to be savored bite after bite.

RESERVATIONS AND ACCOMMODATIONS

From this year you can book your stay in Treviso directly with Xevents. Send a fax or an email to the following addresses and we will find suitable solutions to your requests. Reservations start from April.

More Informations:
Phone: +39 0422-422192 (9.30 - 12.30 / 14.30 - 17.30 da lun. a ven.)
Fax: +39 0422-422192
E-mail: sport@marcatreviso.it
Web: www.xevents.it

 

HOW TO REACH TREVISO

Capital of the province of the same name, Treviso is located 30 kilometers from Venice and can be reached from:

  • Highways: A27 (Treviso north and Treviso south exit); A4 (Cessalto exit)
  • Airports: Antonio Canova (TV), Marco Polo (VE)
  • Train: Venezia-Udine, Venezia-Belluno, Vicenza-Treviso
Registration forms

Health certificate

Scarica